Lady Byrd Hat Factory
Richmond, VA (circa 1896)
Originally built to house the Virginia Paper Company, the building became the home of the Lady Byrd Hat Factory in 1965. The building is located near the Turning Basin of Richmond’s newly constructed Canal Walk and is the only historic building on the Canal. McPherson Design Group assisted with the design for the conversion of this building to a mixed-use facility, including residential units, offices, restaurants, retail spaces and entertainment venues. Many of the historic structural elements were recycled and featured in the new building, including the massive foundation on the canal side of the building. This foundation is the original wall of the Kanawha canal, which was begun in 1785 as part of George Washington’s grand plan for the transportation of goods to the Mississippi River.