Gates County Courthouse
Gatesville, North Carolina
Gates County Courthouse is a wood framed, 2-story building that was built in 1836, and had deteriorated in several areas. McPherson Design Group provided field investigation, structural analysis, a facility condition inspection report, contract documents, and construction administration for the stabilization and rehabilitation of the historic courthouse. One wing of the Courthouse had failing exterior solid brick walls, which were stabilized with a steel infrastructure that was hidden from view. In addition, a heavy timber roof truss had been substantially destroyed by termites and had to be rehabilitated in place. A second floor that had collapsed due to deterioration was also replaced. While working with the North Carolina Preservation Office in determining acceptable modifications in restoring the building’s structural stability, we were still able to maintain the historical integrity of the building. This building is one of a small number of antebellum courthouses surviving in the State of North Carolina and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in June of 1976.